Sunday, March 31, 2013

Is This My Life?

I have watched the yellow lines pass by outside my window for nearly 12 hours today. The landscapes have changed from oceans edge, thru desert heat, to the top of the snowy mountains I call home. While driving, I happened to find an audio book buried in my iPhone, and trying to pass the hours I turned it on. As I tried to keep my eyes open as the hours passed, one quote caught my attention. In the story an old wise man said the following: “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man....life is the moment we’re living now.” As I thought on that statement for several hours, my mind not only reflected on the moments of the last 10 days, but also those important moments that encompass my life.

 
The last 10 days have been packed with a harness full of memorable moments, treasures in my life. Soaring coastal cliffs over deep blue waters, thermal flying many thousands of feet over various desert mountains and valleys; camp fires, great friends, burned chicken, orange brownies, flying kites, and playing 'brain quest' with my kids through endless hours in the car. It is true that every day is a blessing, a miracle really. A miracle that deserves our utmost energy to truly live, to take advantage of these fleeting moments of time. It has been a wonderful week spending time with Clark and his awesome family; getting a glimpse of what a 14 year old can actually eat in any given day. It is great traveling with people who share the same values, ideals and enthusiasm for life....so much so that I am always exhausted at the end of the day (the way it should be). Great to spend time with Gary and his wonderful family. Although his hair is silver, his passion for paragliding, surfing, and life burns brighter than most.

As I reflect on the moments of my life, I realize despite challenges and hardships I am truly a lucky human being. Thankful for the miracle of flight that has sunk its talons deep into my soul. It continues to make my heart race, make me smile, and remind me of what is important in life; The smile of my kids, the touch of my wife, faith in a power bigger than myself, and the endless wind in my extended arms. Yes, this is my life and it continues to be an amazing journey.
The Valley Crossing.....
Soaring the cliffs of Torrey Pines
Feet extending into the sky
Clark carving high above the desert mountains



No comments:

Post a Comment