Sunday, November 25, 2012

Take to the Sky

I sit here in the calm glow of the computer screen, a few brief minutes to myself reflecting on a busy holiday filled flying weekend. November is nearing an end. We still have a few days left, but the completion of our national holiday of Thanksgiving seems to be a fitting end of the month...to me at least. As I sit here evaluating my life I have many things to be thankful for. A truly wonderful life: amazing wife, kids, faith, good health, and wonderful friends. I am thankful for the ability to live in a country that had enough foresight (then at least) to create a day to stop and count ones blessings. One thing I am thankful for, for which this blog focuses on is the miracle of free-flight. Thankful for those pioneers who have gone before to not only prove it was possible, but to perfect it in such a way that someone like me can actually soar with the birds; no motors, no metal, and no machine...just fabric and string.
I am thankful for the ability to dream, and then to act. I remember the first time my feet left the ground just above the training hill. It was only for seconds really, but a life changing moment. I think every paraglider pilot remembers their first time, and it was probably that instant that solidified the pursuit of their dream.
I now have years of flying under my belt, hundreds of flights, and hundreds of hours in the sky. I have not been to the training hill in a very long time, yet the feeling of that first flight never quite fades. I know many pilots get tired of the quick, short flights of winter, and thus hang up the gear for a season. They ask "Is it really worth all that effort of hiking up for only 5 minutes in the sky?" To me, the time and effort required to hike up a mountain is but a small price to pay, even if my feet were only a few seconds above the ground. To me every moment in the sky is still a miracle, a dream come true, and one I hope to never lose enthusiasm for.
Until one experiences this miracle of free-flight it is difficult to express how magical it truly is. I try with words to describe it, but fail in such a task. The short videos I make are an attempt to convey that joy, exhilaration, and pure magic of the sport. Perhaps even share a small piece of my passion along the way. If one has ever had such a dream, maybe now is time for you to take to the sky.

This short video is a compilation of me and my close friends captured along the Wasatch mountains during several short flights throughout the month of November. It does not showcase the flights of the last few days, such as flying the meadows of Lone Peak on Thanksgiving morning, Friday evening flights on the upper north faces of Grandeur, or the Saturday flights over the city of Bountiful. Those will have to continue to live inside my memory.

1 comment:

  1. I Agree whole heartedly, to realize the true feeling of flight is to take time to ponder. The reality sometimes only comes when one hits the ground hard of what we are really doing and controlled flight in this free form is very satisfying and only people in these generation are lucky enough to experience this as the people before this was invented could only dream.

    Truly thankful to be alive and also have someone that's crazy as I am to like to fly even with all the challenges to test her. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete